* when you open a coffee shop, you’re definitely not getting there when there’s light, especially if you have baked goods that you’re making in the kitchen; I was head baker at one place and I’d regularly get in at 3 am to proof the croissants that had been started the day before; bakelovenotwar was a barista at another place and he used to get in around 4 am, I think
* successful coffee shops—especially successful coffee shops in busy metropolitan areas—open at 6 am at the LATEST; they’ve gotta be open, up, and running for the people who get coffee before work and sometimes that means before dawn
* grinding beans is fucking loud, okay; like, I’ve frequented shops that would grind new for anyone who asked for it or for people who wanted to buy it ground to make at home but it’s really, really loud; that’s just an ambiance tip
* if it’s a little independent shop, I guarantee you’re not going to have four or five people working at once when there’s not enough customers to keep them busy; employees cost money and a lot of independent coffee shops are running that thin line between red and black; basically, if they’re not busy, employees are going home, not hanging out at the counter chatting
* idk if ya’ll have actually used coffee shops as places where you work (not for money; but I tend to use them as my office when I have tons of homework, stuff like that), but you don’t generally get your OWN table if they’re busy; you share with, like, strangers; that’s the culture; people come up and say, “Hey, can I have this side?” And you say, “Sure.” And then you ignore each other for the next few hours
there is literally no difference between academic scholars discussing their interpretations of a text and a bunch of people yelling YOUR HEADCANON IS WRONG at each other
As a Masters student I can vouch for this.The difference is citations.
Having talked to fanfolk and academics in equal measure, most fanfolk are better at the citations.
I can’t wait for summer when my hands won’t freeze within the first 10 minutes when I draw
not so happy with how it turned out but i needed to draw some happy kids weh
I do feel that fandom, in its distress over Bucky’s general existence, has neglected something very important:
BUCKY IS NOW WANDERING AROUND DC UNSUPERVISED AND CONFUSED
Does he figure out the SmarTrip machine?
Does he wait patiently for Silver Line trains?
Does he like cupcakes?
Does he get to visit the dinosaur part of the Natural History Museum before it closes for renovations?
THESE ARE THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS
DOES HE REMEMBER TO CHECK FOR WEEKEND TRACK WORK
does he know the good times to go to the zoo
does he read Capital Weather Gang yet
who signed him up for a DC public library card
i read that second line as “WANDERING AROUND THE DC UNIVERSE” and i was really confused >_<
American Horror Story: Flutes on Music Stands
American Horror Story: Open Drinks on Pianos
Trombones leaning upright against walls/chairs
Cellos and basses with their end pins out
Trumpets put down on their valve casings
Cases left sitting behind parked cars
Pulling out slides without depressing valves
REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
i’m assuming that you’re all familiar with tumblr saviour at this point - i use tumblr saviour every day for blocking nsfw content while i’m at work, not to mention wiping my dash of blood, gore, and theamazingatheist. tumblr saviour is invaluable, honestly. we all know that. and we’ve all wished that we could just tumblr saviour the entire internet, right?
well, hold on to your hats, because this app, silencer, is functionally tumblr saviour for the entire internet.
this is a goddamned godsend. i’ve tried it out with a few annoying and triggering terms, and it works like a fucking charm. spoilery tweets about what happened on last sunday’s breaking bad? gone. incessant royal baby facebook posts? evaporated. i literally cannot express to you how happy this app makes me and how helpful it has been.
it also comes with custom “mute packs” - sets of buzzwords about popular events or spoiler-prone tv shows that you can just automatically mute, and voila, your twitter and facebook feeds are clean.
i wouldn’t be making this post unless i was dead fucking serious about making sure that you all have this in your lives. download it here.
so basically someone made a redesigned version of Comic Sans and holy shit I never knew I could warm up to something that resembles Comic Sans like this
I’m not a typographer so my eyes aren’t trained for this but I think I might use this from now on
So great: Rhode Island Public Radio reporter Bradley Campbell draws the storytelling structures of iconic public radio shows on napkins – it’s like Kurt Vonnegut’s shapes of stories meet David Byrne’s diagrams of the human condition.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [x]
You sarcastic little shit.
We have all kinds of cool, “badass” characterization for a few YW characters but let’s put this in perspective, shall we?
- Ronan Nolan hangs out with his punk rock friends in the Irish equivalent of KFC
- Roshaun ke Nelaid (suffixes omitted) is addicted to lollipops and wears Fermilab hoodies
- Carmela Rodriguez learned Japanese from JP dubs of the Pokémon anime
- The Lone Power threw a tantrum over two kids playing in his sandbox in the first book
THEY’RE ALL A BUNCH OF FRICKIN’ NERDS
Deaf Jamaican-born lawyer gets White House job
THE White House has appointed Jamaican immigrant Claudia Gordon to oversee its efforts on disability issues.
Gordon, a deaf lawyer, moves over from the Department of Labour where she dealt with potential discrimination by federal contractors to now work between the Obama administration and the disability community as the White House’s disability liaison. Her new title is associate director in the White House Office of Public Engagement.